Friday, May 05, 2006

Could I Sell Breasts on Etsy?


One day while I was doing newborn exams in the hospital, I got to talking with one of the lactation consultants. When they're teaching new moms, most of them (all female) have gotten comfortable using their own bodies to demonstrate different techniques of breastfeeding--fully clothed, of course. But it isn't always easy for mothers to picture what they mean the first time around. This becomes even more problematic in a class--it's hard for the doctors not to laugh a little during their spiel.

While I was crocheting a little pig, I couldn't help but notice how the nose looked a lot like a nipple until I got to the rest of the pig. So I offered to make the lacation consultants some breast models. The nice thing is that they're realistic, but not too realistic, and do the job--they can even stuff them into a lab coat pocket, and hey, they're machine washable. A whole lot cheaper than what you get from scientific anatomical supplies places.




Now comes what may be even weirder. Recently we saw a DVD called Dear Francis--it's a documentary of U.S. college students going to Swaziland to teach about AIDS to high school students there. The country has been so devastated, that 1 out of 10 homes has a child for head of household--the parents have died. These kids are easily taken advantage of. What they need is a cottage industry.

I've been trying out selling different amigurumi on www.etsy.com, and wondering if that could be a venue for some of these kids. If some of these toys are very popular, for very little money they could be making money for their families while staying home. It wouldn't be the same as raising a garden where someone might steal the produce. Who would want 20 little stuffed pigs? Or even breasts? I'd bet that there are other lactation consultants who might be interested. Would I get in trouble with etsy for testing it out?

Along the lines of things for these kids to crochet, a friend of mine showed me a cross bookmark made by her aunt, probably in the 1940s. I've done a variation of it, and can't find a similar one in any books. Perhaps people would be interested in handmade lace crosses.

I'm afraid this isn't a very good picture:

There are other African countries with numerous children as heads of household, too.

I go to Saddleback Community Church, which has launched a program called the P.E.A.C.E. Plan, to attack some of the global giants that trouble our world, including poverty. We have task forces of lay members who want to address some of these needs, and I think this idea might be a good thing. I still need to talk with some business people to see whether this is viable and how to go about it. You would hate to provide an income for a short time and then have it dry up.

I'd be grateful for any opinions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home